BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ralph Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Preservationist Protection Program <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 12:37:41 EDT
In a message dated 6/5/2001 10:21:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<< Can anyone enlighten me to what is going on, either in the firing,
adhesion,
 appearance or the weather durability, when either sugar or molasses are used
 in terra cotta glazes. >>

][<en,

Seems to me that anything that's water soluble (like f'rinstance, sugar, or
soap flakes) that gets a glaze over it is going to cause trouble when
moisture gets through the cracks in the glaze.  Besides which it would form
caramel, or sorghum, or some such delicacy in the course of being fired and
probably do all sorts of nasty things to the ceramic glaze in the first
place.  What makes you think there's a construction-confection connection
here?

Than again, what do I know about big-city problems, like tile or terra cotta?
I'm just some suburban geek who reads old newspapers and emails too much.

Boo hoo,

Ralph