BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 2010 14:45:05 -0800
This concept of third places has been on my plate for a long time. It
first came up when I published a weekly newspaper in a remote place
and I was trying to figure out stories deep underneath the stories and
what glued the people and place together- how that worked and what it
yielded. Years later, for my graduate project in community and
regional planning, I took it up again. The short version of my topic
was how tourism ruins local economies because economic developers do
not look at local knowledge and etc. There are parallels in the Haiti
situation only the pillaging has been more blatant. I can report there
is not a lot of support for scholarship that goes gadfly. My topic was
not well-received. Bowling Alone and Putnam's work is on topic but, in
my opinion, a bit fluffy. That's where my dept. was stuck then.

Some towns simply don't have true third places. I live in one that has
anemic versions only. That's one reason I like BP.

-- Sister Mary Probation

ps sorry for not trimming this time.
Mary Tegel
hands on impresario