BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Preservationist Protection Program <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 21:01:10 EDT
She was there all right (blond in the coffin )dressed to the nines sequins et all ; a real lady ; she was.
Glass cased coffins were in vogue around late 1600 to early 17 cent. In order to shore up some crumbling foundation we had togo deep into the crypts. Below ground these are walled up affairs and in poor light it is you and the rats trying to decide what is crypt and what is just poor repair to an early foundation. Most of the practicing catholics I was with refused to enter these inner sanctums...they made the sign of the cross and just ran away...that just left me and a few hopeless alcoholic laborers who were so thirsty for "Irish lunch" that I believe they would have plundered the tomb if so inspired; and as misery loves company we continued on the better part of 16 ft below grade where we found the suspect wall after stumbling over several burials. At this point we are crawling over ruble and cussing our misfortune
But there she was under a pile of lime dust, which I brushed away with my shirt sleave revealing a gold toothed skull with blond hair in all her brocaded finery.
Locating the tomb of the patriots of the revolution out in the grave yard was equally as interesting. A Victorian monument 20 ft high graces their resting place. It is solid brownstone ;but we found an entrance stone at the 15 ft level. We lowered a very trim guy into it where we had to drill through a poured floor of lime mortar; from there we entered a disheveled crypt that was full of bones and  skulls  ; it was at this time an executive decision was made to close the crypt an continue the restoration of the monument it was Black Monday the crash in the 80's on wall street and the streets were littered with corpses drunk on recession. Best Michael