BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 2004 17:15:57 -0500
That would be "Martha's Jailyard Salad"?

Houses along Dune Road -- about as far on the beach as one can get,
majority of them built on stilts, quite often get wiped out during
winter Nor'esters.
It makes the news here in the unHamptons, but I doubt in Indonesia.
Though I imagine w/ 14 bathrooms the infrastructure alone tends towards
a more inland footprint.
Other than an occasional and costly nature, it is the Gulf Stream
running up the coast that makes for a usually pleasant climate w/in
reasonable proximity to NYC.
The Hamptons are close to sand beaches and the relative isolation brings
w/ it a concentration of social class. But as I see it old money usually
does not live in the Hamptons.
Visit, yes, but live there, no. There are plenty of people who do not
like to be bothered in their lives and my suspicion is that old money
tends to live where nobody ever talks about.
I assume that the Hamptons Horse show having a Lear jet on display and
for sale along w/ Jaguars & Land Rovers is an indication of there being
money, though likely loose and new wealth.
The forks, both north and south, as peninsulas are relatively easy to
protect as enclaves of social exclusion.
Islands in general are much easier to protect from undesirable folks
wandering in upon them.
The two forks have developed in different ways, the north remaining with
an agrarian feel, particularly with a more obvious number of wineries.
There is enough of a difference in the climate, the geology and
architecture to notice a difference between the two.

I'd be happy, next jaunt to the Hamptons, to try to find the house in
question.
But I kind of doubt I would be able to get near enough to it to take a
photo.

][<