BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 2004 16:21:14 -0800
Ralph,  It is chopped differently.  Hamburger is ground as raw meat.
Mincemeat is cooked first then chopped.  I took the bones after we had cut
the roasts and steaks off and put them in the big kettle and boiled for
several hrs.  Then the meat just fell off the bones.  There were no very
large pieces of meat, just the bits that were left on the bone but I still
cut up into aprox half inch cubes.  My Grandma had a wooden trencher with a
cutting tool that went with it that she used to cut stuff like that up in
but it seems to be among the missing.  Some of the old stuff Mom got rid
of.  Hope that answers your question.  Ruth

At 11:16 AM -0500 1/2/04, [log in to unmask] wrote:

Ruth,

Is mincemeat chopped more or less finely than hamburger?

And are there standards (ASTM or otherwise...perhaps our highly efficient
Dept of Agriculture, known for it's expertise in meat handling: special
today: Downerburger, 29 cents a pound) for chopping meat?  No doubt Chris
and his morbidity and mortality newsletter can answer this one...

Ralph

--
Ruth Barton
Dummerston, VT