BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
david west <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "The Cracked Monitor"
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 20:42:05 +0100
In a message dated 8/24/99 1:05:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

"I believe that today we build, in Ruskin's words, 'for present delight alone.'  So taking that thought to its final conclusion, what will our grandchildren think of today's buildings and material culture?"

>>> Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]> 25 August 1999  6:39am >>> wrote:

"Not much as they won't be able to find any of it? All the EIFS will have melted away. Possibly skeletons of abandoned structures with out-of-date signs outside, signs that last longer than the buildings. Or, just another empty strip mall with sea gulls."

Hear ye, hear ye.  I see the APTI have announced that they are co-sponsoring the "Preserving the Recent Past II" conference in Philadelphia next October.  Call for abstracts out now.  Must be some fascinating potential papers on topics like:

"The future preservation challenges of EIFS cladding"
"A modern history of failed building materials"
"Preserving building materials which fail"

and maybe even:

"Shagorama:  preserving shag pile carpets"

Personally, I'm really interested in exploring the philosophical issues relating to the preservation of building materials which fail.

Should we bother?  Can we replace them with better materials?  What to do if the detailing, which was fundamental to the building design, is the principal cause of failure?

Is there anybody out there who has stories to share on this?  Anyone who would like to co-author this with me?  Replies on or off the list.

Cheers

david