BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Maura Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "The Cracked Monitor"
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 13:08:26 -0400
>If you are looking for odd dirty jobs for the young, I was a "Book Mover"
at
>the Cornell U. Library on Saturdays during high school years.   A dirtier
>and more "shocking" job is hard to imagine.

Oddly, the job has changed very little since your high school days.  My
office is located in a library -- on a locked floor, with the rare books and
other sacred/profane materials (whoopee!).  To purge the library of those
items that haven't been checked out in 5-10 years, and so create more shelf
space, a high-density storage facility was built several miles away.
Picture a Charles Foster Kane kinda scenario -- a warehouse full of precious
but useless things stacked to the ceiling.  Stored in crates, they're
retrieved by fork lift.  The point is that they all had to be manually
sorted, packed, toted, etc.
Maura