BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bruce Marcham <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The listserv which takes flossing seriously! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 11:17:00 -0400
Py:

I enjoyed your story about the True Cross.  You certainly come up with some interesting observations (I guess it helps if you live in such an interesting part of the world).

I'm sorry my response came through in symbols.  I often switch to "plain text" mode when the reply ends up with complicated fonts being used.

As you will see below my response was a recollection of a previous mention of the Natchez Trace (probably by you, maybe Ken) on BP and what I found when I tried to find out more about it.  I had formed an image of what it might be but couldn't imagine that such a thing could've survived without being obliterated by successive improvements in our transportation infrastructure.  I gather some of it does remain in some manner.

The other recollection was of another similar natural highway and what a misguided attempt at getting information got me.  I spent a little time try ing to learn about Washington's canal but all I found was the C&O canal which came later.  There was a "Washigton slept here" cottage associated with a canal and I think it was pre-Revolutionary War...

At any rate thank you for causing me to look for information...

My initial reply to True Cross:

This story reminded me of a previous mention of the Natchez Trace on BP. I did a search on it and found the web site for the route--kind of a north-south Route 66 of earlier times. http://www.nps.gov/natr/pphtml/maps.html

I remembered a natural route taken by wagon teams heading west over the Appalachian Mountains. I thought it was called Jacob's Ladder but I see that was an ancient route in Western Massachusetts. http://www.berkshireweb.com/jacobsladdertrail/

I suspect that the one I'm trying to remember may've gone through the Cumberland Gap. I pictured a series of natural steps from a description I read. I thought it had a name that involved a biblical reference but I could be wrong on that. Any ideas?

In a similar vein I recently became aware (through NPR) of an effort by President Washington (?) to open up passage to the west (Ohio or northwestern West Virginia) using a canal through West Virginia (?). I gather it was something of an embarrassment to him as he lost money and maybe some face when the venture failed. I seem to recall he owned land in the area he was trying to run the canal to/through and wanted to promote development in that area and beyond. Even back then seemingly honorable politicians were out to make a buck (I could have the timeline wrong--this may've taken place before he was president)...

Bruce