BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "That's gneiss but I think you're full of schist!"
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 09:27:00 -0400
On July 6, 1999 11:28 PM, Met History [SMTP:[log in to unmask]] wrote:

> << What, exactly, happens when you flush an M-80 (lit) down the toilet?
> >>

> Since there have been about 500 posts to my original question, but no
> real
> answers, I can only assume that those who know, don't tell, and those
> who
> tell, don't flush.

Well, Bee, it's like this.  It's a complicated problem of physics and
engineering: there's no one pat answer.  We're all busy
preservationeering, and performing the calculations is pretty taxing.
 There are so many variables to be taken into account.  To wit:

-Length of fuse, and the effect of time on detonation point.
-Diameter of waste pipe, hence velocity of water flow.
-Thickness and tenacity of waste pipe grunge lining.
-Commode with tank or line flush.
-Age of commode: 1.6 gpf or environmental horror.
-Material of commode: china or stainless steel.
-Location of commode:  upstairs or downstairs; home or school.
-Position of commode seat:  up or down (usually up, because it's usually
little boys using the commode. The little girls will generally do it with
the seat down, which leads to other results and problems beyond the scope
of this analysis).
-Many others that time will not allow me to elaborate upon.  I feel sure
that there will be other B-Pers who will leap to my assistance in pointing
out the many other variables.

One other way to find out, if you have no patience with us getting around
to answering your question in our spare time, is to perform your own
empirical evaluations. I'd suggest that you use the commode next to the TP
holder that is a little bit floppy on the wall, since there is a
possibility that you won't be needing that TP holder any longer after your
testing is terminated.
Dan Becker,  Executive Director      "Conformists die, but
Raleigh Historic                              heretics live on forever"
Districts Commission                             -- Elbert Hubbard