BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Kitty tortillas! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 02:06:54 -0500
Primers can be very different or not so different from paint. There are many
different types of primers.

Some primers work by penetrating and consolidating the substrate so that the
paint has a more solid surface to bond with. Some chemically alter the
substrate, setting up an intermediate layer capable of chemically bonding to
a difficult substrate while providing a surface that paint can bond to more
easily. Some emulsify oils in oily substrates. Some are strictly thinned out
paint that penetrate and grab a little more efficiently. Some are designed
to form tight films so that stains from tannins in wood do not bleed through
and stain the paint. Some turn iron oxide into iron phosphate, a tighter,
more sound metallic surface.

Edison Coatings, Inc.
M. P. Edison
President