BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
His reply: “No. Have you read The Lazy Teenager by Virtual Reality?”" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2007 09:07:17 -0200
In my sphere of activity we would call cast stone a faux material.
Suggest "Fauxstormuddling." It is not really restoration as much as
muddling and even at that it is a well respected art of fakery.
Fauxstormuddling also has a certain Germanic anal tone to it as it if
should be not only proper but forced on our environment if not also our
cousins. Say it aloud a few times before dismissing it. [Walking at end
of workday through Times Square-42nd Street subway station yesterday I
swear the young lady vigorously pushing her pamphlet towards me was
saying, "Sausage will return!" I did not hang around to find out what
sort of religion that was.]

Regarding cast stone... I'm not sure how many years back (10?) the
precast stone steps were made for the New Victory Theater to resemble
brownstone. I remember the mnfg. complaining to me that the 'design'
team had no idea of how precast stone performs. Expecting the material
to do things that it cannot properly do. They were concerned at the
thinness of the pieces for the treads and their being a bit on the long
side. I understand now that the rebar is showing through in places.
Considering it is a stairs salt may also be used in the winter and that
is not particularly good for the concrete no matter how well it is
manufactured. At the time that the staircase was put together it was a
remarkable accomplishment for faux brownstone in precast concrete though
it noticeably lacked the variegation of veining or the dimples of quartz
occlusions.

What it causes me to compare is the wrongheadedness we see going on
currently that leads to poor design decisions related to materials and
the question that often comes up as to why our ancestors used brownstone
(properly or improperly) if they knew that it was a poor building
material. The problem as I see it is not with the materials, be they
original or faux, they are going to perform however they will perform --
and thanks to our scientific and engineering intellects we can know a
whole lot about that performance, but it is, as Sharpshooter
demonstrates, people that are the problem.

][<