BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
J Cuyler Page <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Preservationists shouldn't be neat freaks." -- Mary D
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 22:29:01 -0700
re. Mount McGregor, place of sickness and beauty.

I have very fond but also worrying memories of riding in the back seat of
our family car while my parents drove up the hill to visit the Sanatorium
Gardens when I was a young child.   It was one of my father's favourite
places, and a special stop on family holidays whenever we passed through the
valley.   (He did have a great fondness for Presidential lore, especially
about Grant.)

As a very little child, I recall always being very worried about going up
there since I had been told it was a place for sick people.   Since it was
soooo beautiful and so high up and far off the highway and in such a
profound setting, I thought the kind of "being sick" there must be awfully
powerful to have such aesthetic resources dedicated to it.   I was afraid I
(we) might catch whatever was being stored there in the special beautiful
buildings and grounds, and wondered if they let the sick people roam in the
gardens too, and after all, were not the gardens built there for the sick
people so why were we there !

Is it still there today ?   I recall always being disappointed that we
didn't see more of the buildings which lurked slightly out of view once you
were up there in the Garden parking lot.

Cuyler Page in BC