BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Nov 1997 10:42:09 -0500
In a message dated 97-11-06 08:02:25 EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

> It is not only the craftspersons who learn by the hearing of stories and
>  teach by the telling of stories.  What architecture student has not been
>  told of a professor handing a student a quarter and telling the victim
>  to call his mother and inform her that he will not be an architect?

John:

I agree with what you are saying. Possibly I have to be more specific in what
I am searching for in the idea of oral-transmission of information as
specific to the trades. I think in general the trades have fewer alternatives
of expression. Therefore the really wopper stories, I believe, come from
craftspersons and _builders_. Everyone can tell stories, but not everyone can
write a technical paper. Many craftspersons are not highly skilled in either
handwriting or reading comprehension. I find architects, from my persepctive,
often lack literate skills... if I send a memo I get no corresponding
response, if I send a sketch I get an appropriate response, despite the fact
that I am nearly illiterate in sketching ability. A stonemason will perceive
my ability to hammer on a stone a lot faster than if I write them a note
about it. If I tell them a story they usually respond with another story, and
suddenly we are both stonemasons... which is an in-the-blood thing. Getting a
stonemason to tell deliver an organized lecture based on an outline is
difficult. Encourage them to tell stories and they will keep you occupied for
hours. (Most recently I was told stories about working on the American
embassy in Warsaw in the 1970's.) Some architects are _builders_. I see John
Callan as a _builder_. Again, it is a blood thing. Stetson, out of curiosity,
asked me who I am... there are several roles to any one individual. We should
tell each other, on BP, what we perceive our various roles are, imagined or
otherwise.

Hope this is not TOO serious for BP.

][<en Follett