BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Magma Charta Erupts Weakly"
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 13:10:10 EDT
In a message dated 9/28/99 12:08:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Funny you should mention ex-Grumman engineers;...So, how'd I get
>  from L.I. to YT, you might ask. Looong story.

Bruce,

LI is now cluttered w/ ex-Grumman engineers who are still seeking the miracle
of technological progress, despite the fact that they are now unemployed.
They run around loose promoting new inventions ranging from the mundane to
the certified whacky. The growing LI industry, rather than air and space
flight, is now focused around the likes of Computer Associates. Better to be
a software programmer on LI than a mechanical/electrical engineer.

On the vernacular aspects of Levittown... consider the occupants, post-WWII
veterans seeking the independence of a detached dwelling. I think one idea
was that if a working man has a mortgage to pay then they tend to keep out of
trouble, out of bars, whore houses, and pool rooms. Mix tract housing,
including split-level variations, in with Gold Coast mansions, no longer
serving the long-departed wealthy, and you will have a perspective of the
interior spaces of Nassau county.

][<en