BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kitty tortillas! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 20:54:12 -0700
Me--I'll go as high as you like--as long as I can keep one foot on the
ground.  In my younger days I did a lot of painting, mind you most of it
was indoors or window sash.  About 10 years ago the headmaster decided the
exterior of the classroom building needed to be painted, the original idea
was for it to be weathered natural wood but they just couldn't wait for the
process.  It started out I was just going to do one, relatively low section
and others were going to do the rest.  I got stuck doing most all of
it--including one peak section that was about 30 feet up.  We had to rent a
ladder to get that high and I climbed up to do the little bit I couldn't
get any other way.  I was shaking so hard it's a wonder the ladder didn't
tip over just from my shaking.  Then I had to let go of the ladder with one
hand to paint.  I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!!!!!  If I had to do it again I
would get my friend with the cherry picker bucket to put me up there.  I am
horrified when I read about you guys who rapel down the side of buildings
down there.  Ruth

At 9:41 AM -0400 10/15/03, J.A. Drew Diaz wrote:
then there was the time John, Sr made the architect puke..
we're on a roof in brooklyn, John climbs over the parapet and on to the
window top cornice or whatever you call it- and it kicking loose decayed
masonry to show what lousy shape it's in, my stomach is doing flips.  I
look around for the architect, don't see him and the awful realization
dawns  that if he has climbed down I will have to as well-
then I hear something from the  stairwell and the arch is in there tossing
up breakfast...
--
Ruth Barton
Dummerston, VT