BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Ilene R. Tyler" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kitty tortillas! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:06:49 -0400
Thanks, Leland.

Back in the 70s, Norm and I used to teach Handcrafted Construction as
part of a mountain crafts summer program in the Laurel Highlands of
southwestern Pennsylvania.  We had more fun building non-traditional
things with no right angles in the middle of the woods.  It seems a
world away now that we are living in Ann Arbor, teaching and working in
preservation, and living in an 1843 Greek Revival house.  We loved
seeing the problem and designing and crafting things to fit,
particularly in glass.  Most of our "students" were adventurous
architecture students looking for something different to do in the
summer.  I have photos...

I definitely agree with the need for those studying architecture to be
exposed hands-on to building with their hands.  We didn't get it in
school either, and I wish I had more time to still be doing it, but at
least I have the memories.

QUINN EVANS | ARCHITECTS

Ilene R. Tyler, FAIA

219 1/2 N. Main Street
Ann Arbor, MI  48104
www.quinnevans.com
v 734.663.5888
f 734.663.5044

Date:    Mon, 22 Sep 2003 08:58:47 -0400
From:    "Ilene R. Tyler" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Greetings from APT

Hey, no trouble sufficiently stirred to deter the fun had by APTers in
Portland. =20

Enjoyed seeing a few people in person that I typically see either once a
year or hear from in this modest forum.  There is definite interest in
shifting to more diversity and it's evident in the survey numbers (which
I can't remember by heart).  Architects have moved from 50% to something
like 30% and there is a more even spread of the other APT disciplines,
including engineers, conservators, contractors, landscape architects,
and preservation "others".  Ingvall Maxwell and Zeynep Ahunbay both
spoke eloquently about the importance of preserving and nurturing the
traditional crafts of preservation.  Their discussions of work in
Scotland and Turkey respectively set an example for all of us, and many
other speakers also referenced this.  My presentation on the Parthenon
also showed the importance of the collaboration of the entire team, the
beauty of the results, and the detailed execution of both documents and
replicated elements of the building.  I enjoy the presentations that
show results rather than remaining theoretical with exotic testing and
high costs.  There were many down-to-earth (literally) presentations,
but little hands-on. =20

Have fun at the trades network gathering, but consider coming to
Galveston next year.

QUINN EVANS | ARCHITECTS

Ilene R. Tyler, FAIA

219 1/2 N. Main Street
Ann Arbor, MI  48104
www.quinnevans.com
v 734.663.5888
f 734.663.5044

Date:    Sun, 21 Sep 2003 22:15:27 +0000
From:    John Callan <[log in to unmask]>

Just thought I'd let you guyz know that things have been interesting
here at APT.  Saw a couple of presentations by craftsmen, some by the
ususal suspects and some by folks from other shores.  Even some pinheads
were represented among the participants and presenters.  Portland is
lovely, in a warm damp sort of way.

For those who know my fears related to the exodus of certain interests
to that other organization I am proud to be a member of...my fears are
justified.

Stirring up trouble as usual.

-jc

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 22 Sep 2003 10:06:10 -0400
From:    Leland Torrence <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Greetings from APT Teams and craft

Ilene,
It was interesting to read through Yale Constructs Architecture issue
this weekend in light of your remarks.  Nina Rappaport does and
interview with Rafael Vinoly and Sire Michael Hopkins, both visiting
professors.  Vinoly, who is lecturing Thursday night, emphasizes the
need for craft being taught to architecture students:  "I have a genuine
concern about the fact that the medium of architecture and its
advancement as a craft has been depleted and its knowledge base in many
ways removed."  Hopkins discusses the learning paradigm in his day as
being design and architecture in relationship to modern art, not to the
site and its surroundings.  Both men refer to all the projects as "our"
and the emphasis on team building.

Date:    Sun, 21 Sep 2003 22:15:27 +0000
From:    John Callan <[log in to unmask]>

--

End of BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Digest - 22 Sep 2003 to 23 Sep 2003
(#2003-250)
**