BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cuyler Page <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"Let us not speak foul in folly!" - ][<en Phollit
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 23:57:20 -0800
>Some digicams are set up to allow the LCD finder to be viewed unobtrusively

Nothing quite like this one for ease of viewing.   A digital Nikon 4500 just
entered and changed my camera life last week, with a split body that allows
the lens to be pointed to the target while the body with the LCD view can be
turned to any position that you like for comfortable, easy (or concealed)
viewing of the screen.   It has super optics, 4 power optical zoom, and
built-in  macro capability to 2 cm.   Assorted lenses are available for wide
angle, tele, etc. but the add-on I love best is the screw-on adaptor for
copying slides or film strips.   At  4 megapixles it makes it so easy and
cheap to digitize those precious slides from the 60's, and in the museum, it
allows direct first generation images from old negative strips.   I am
hoping a light table and copy stand tripod will allow access to large format
negs and glass plates.   Has anyone got suggestions from experience with
digitizing from a light table?

As a macro-lover, I will miss the tubes of the trusty SLR Pentax, but the
ability of the digital to capture light at a reasonable speed is amazing,
and there is also a light ring that screws on in front of the lens for macro
work.

This week I have been using the new toy to document the 1877 floor
restoration, and the detail available in a room zoom with all those pixels
is astounding.   What are we going to do with all that information?!

The only digital downer so far is the light weight of the body.  As an old
smallbore marksman, I was used to using the mass of the machine to steady
hand shots, and used to get away with a lot with the Pentax.   Now, a tripod
is a necessity to let those megapixels do their stuff.   The plus side of
the tiny body is that it fits in a shirt pocket.   Does anyone add weights
to their digital to make it feel more like a "real" camera?

cp macro-happy in bc