BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ralph Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "The Cracked Monitor"
Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 1999 22:25:52 EDT
Ah, yes, the stone.  Another charming Britishism we backwards Colonials
somehow survive without and yet manage to dominate the world.  Along with
ha'pennies, shillings, drams, etc.  If ya weigh 900 lbs, ya weigh 900 lbs;
you're no thinner for weighing 900/14 stone, even if you talk like Rumpole.

Do you more recent inverted renegades from the Windsors continue to use the
stone while driving on the wrong side of the street?  Or have you adapted it
to 14 kg (a metric stone?), or do you now call it's metric equivalent
(14/2.2) a stone?

We are legally on the metric system, and the Feds require it to be used on
drawings for new construction, but I don't know whether anybody here actually
uses it in construction.  If you asked for a metric tape measure, they'd look
at you as if you were nuts.  I bought a metric/English tape in Arch school
(thinking it would be ever so useful), but never used the metric side and
couldn't find a metric/English replacement blade when the original blade
broke, so I got a "real" one that could be read in both directions.

Maybe some of our more governmentally inclined (or employed) Histo Presto
friends have had different experiences.....