BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
plz practice conservation of histo presto eye blinks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2008 09:28:18 -0800
Thanks fellas, since Ken knew this tree/bush in northern NY I would imagine
we also have it here in VT but I am not familiar with it.  The only small
tree I know of with thorns is Locust.  They appear to outgrow the thorn
stage as they get bigger but the small ones sure have wicked thorns.  I'll
have to as my brother about this Ironwood tree as he is more familiar with
that sort of thing than I am.  Ruth

At 9:40 AM -0500 2/11/08, Gabriel Orgrease wrote:
Leland Torrence wrote:

Iron wood, and usually only the heart of the tree, but it is not too
typical in Vermont.  There are many species, but that is the only one I
know of in

What I remember of ironwood, from Northern Appalachian area of NY, is that
it was a very tough wood of a small straggly deciduous tree with hard sharp
thorns a few inches in length. A tree smaller than a dogwood but of a
similar overall configuration. A gray bark that was smooth and a bit on the
dark side and in a shape what would remind one of the curves of muscles. It
grew in our woods. What I also remember was the pain of stepping on the
thorns with bare feet. Long long before tweens began to stick diaper pins
through their cheeks I was in the habit of sticking these thorns through
the flesh of my palms. Don't ask me why.

][<en
--
Ruth Barton
Dummerston, VT