BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Infarct a Laptop Daily"
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 14:01:46 -0500
I'm forwarding this to the list so you can read Lisa's message.  Really,
it's so you can take advantage of her fine invitation.  I snipped the
offending headers.

From: [log in to unmask] (Lisa Sasser)
Subject: Re: Koyaanisqatsi
To: [log in to unmask]

Or you can come to New Hampshire and see it for free  . . .  (I've got it on
video).  It's become something of a tradition at my house to watch
Koyaanisqatsi
on New Year's Day.  I've got friends who firmly believe that Koyaanisquati
means
"the-cloud-movie-with-the-weird-music-that-we-watched-at-your-house-when-we-
were
-really-hung-over".  In Hopi it means: 1) crazy life, 2) life in turmoil, 3)
life disintegrating, 4) life out of balance, 5) a state of life that calls
for
another way of living.  There is supposed to be a sequel called Powaqqatsi,
but
I've never seen it, or met anyone who has.  Hell, if you want to we can even
make it a double feature and show THE essential BP movie, David Byrne's
_True
Stories_.  We'll even put a fresh keg in the draught box.

Lisa

> ... the essential BP movie, I think (the word means "world in chaos" or
"life
> which needs changing" in either Hopi or Brooklynese).  Typical audience
> quote: "I was forced to watch this film against my will and I have never
> quite recovered."
>
> It's playing at the Brooklyn Academy of Music on March 22, 2000 - tickets
are
> $48 at
> http://www.bam.org/.   Cousin Tom, you can stay with us if you come up
from
> the Piney Woods!   The only other showings this winter/spring are in ...
> Australia.
>
> Love to all,  Sharpshooter

I saw Koyannisqatsi on video on a small TV, along with, among others, a
grad student in English literature who loudly ridiculed it from beginning
to end.

I can't say that I care for Glass's amelodic music, but there were some
scenes which, on a bigger screen and under other circumstances, might have
been interesting.

---
Lawrence Kestenbaum, [log in to unmask]