BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Michael Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Infarct a Laptop Daily"
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 18:12:19 EST
Not far from me is the Natchez trace which pre dates all the Roman roads (I
believe) as it was an orginal highway for the migration of animals including
the wooly mamouth where the hunter gathers would (Alabamu and later the mound
and woodland cultures) would follow and  way lay  the hapless beasts to an
untimely dinner in their honor.So densely forested was the trace It was said
that a squrill could travel  the length of the trace( roughly Natchez to
Carolina coast without touching the ground . Sans chariots ;many parts of
the Trace were "sunken" roads.So worn in time that the road was below grade;
and in some cases way below grade in a managerie of colored cuts of sands and
gravels with massive root systems.
 It is a pure joy to walk along sections of these old two rut roads in the
sultry heat of summer as they are leafy and cool and very quiet.You feel
insignificant  as deer in some cases look down at you from the forest
floor;and you imagine you are on the status of  a Disney chipmunk "Hi ya mr.
Deer....
 I like the way the dense forrest towers above you cathedral like  in wild
magnolia and water oak covered in honey suckle and blue bell allowing you a
different perspective of our living on our planet ; one of humble respect....
live and let live ....this ol road is doing just fine Brere rabbit and we
don't need  a road museum ...yet....zippy do dah zippy dey...mah oh my  wot a
wonderfull...... day..Best Michael.