BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "The Cracked Monitor"
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 16:01:21 EDT
In preparation for the pignic at the Krugman Wildlife Preserve.

"In light of the rising frequency of human/grizzly bear encounters, the
New Jersey Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers,
hunters, and fishermen to take extra precautions and keep alert for
bears while in the field. "We advise that outdoorsmen wear
noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears that
aren't expecting them. We also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper
spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear. It is also a good
idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity. Outdoorsmen should
recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear dung.
Black bear dung is smaller and contains lots of berries and
squirrel fur. Grizzly bear dung has little bells in it and smells like
pepper."