BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Rabinowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Rabinowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 07:03:37 -0400
Do not use lemon juice and salt (except on salads) as the acidity will
dissolve the bronze slightly destroying any original patina.  Worse the
salts will not fully rinse off of the surface and instead will commence the
dreaded "Bronze Disease" (chloride corrosion) which is self-perpetuating.

If you are finding that hardware is discoloring after paint removal check
your remover.  Bronze is not stable in highly alkaline solutions.  Many
commercial strippers, Rock Miracle for example, are very high pH.  Try using
a pH neutral stripper to avoid damaging the patina.  Do not use salts under
any circumstance.  I think you will find that 6 months later the hardware is
heavily discolored even under the lacquer.