BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The listserv that takes flossing seriously! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Nov 2005 22:33:17 -0800
I think the screen wax got on it, but what do I know, hubby has a stereo
set up here and I can't even figure out how to turn the darned thing off if
he forgets.  Ruth

At 3:03 PM -0500 11/25/05, Bruce Marcham wrote:
Chris:

Short answer (as I'm sure you know)--anything can be saved if you throw
enough money at it.

The next question is "is it worth it?" It might cost $50 to $100 or so and
look what you can buy for that these days (not much I'd want in my living
room).

KLH was a good brand at one time.

Is the turntable part of the tuner/amplifier, a real wood enclosure with a
stylish low slope to the front? I may have one of these at home. My
recollection is that it might be an FM-only unit?

I had output power transistors go in the "old" amps (post tube era) but I
think that would give no sound.

Anyway, I'll be home in a while and will look at the one I have to see if
there is a switch that might be in the wrong position (I was think of a
speaker A/B/A&B slider switch but it seems like that would also give you no
sound if in the wrong position).

Another possibility is that there is no civilization (read NPR) out there
anymore...

Is the antenna connected (maybe the cat/mice/poodle chewed through it)?

Have tried a record on it with the switch in the phono position (maybe just
rub your finger side-to-side under the needle to see if you can scratch
out a good rap rhythm...). If you get no static in this mode and a
scratching sound when you rub your finger on it then maybe it just a
problem with the tuner circuit.

I assume you've spun the tuning knob to see if you get any change in the buzz?

I'll check back late this afternoon.

Bruce