BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 19:07:27 -0600
It seems to me it was the act of recruiting mercenaries that was
reviled, much more than the mercenaries themselves.  There was a
general sense that somehow the rebels were worthy of the cost in
English blood to put down their rebellion.  Hessians were lured into
desertion with promises of land, and significant numbers of them
accepted these offers and settled places like western PA, Ohio and
Kentucky.  The Pennsylvania troops were nearly as German as the
Hessians.

I do recall that although they were conscripted and had no particular
love for their cause, their craft, nor their master, they were superbly
trained and feared for their effective use of the bayonet.

-jc