BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ralph Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Infarct a Laptop Daily"
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 01:22:03 EST
In a message dated 2/16/2000 12:44:12 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I'm trying to find solid sources on the history of ceramic tile used for
 residential fireplace surrounds and in bathrooms around 1900.  >>

Yo, Cuz!

What's happenin', baby? My reproduction copy of the "Victorian Design Book,"
nee 'Universal Design Book' of the Wholesale Sash, Door and Blind
Manufacturers' Association of the Northwest (damn Canucks again) of 1903
shows several cuts with that blotchy-looking ceramic tile used as firebox
surround.  It was also at the World Famous Rosson House in Phoenix (1895),
and was used in several of the c. 1887 houses in my former neighborhood in
Joisey City, but I can't vouch for it as an unquestionably original feature
in JC; on the other hand, there was enough of it that it very likely was an
original feature of those spec rowhouses.

Hope this helps.

Ralph