BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Heidi Harendza <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "where heavy conservationists hang out"
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 16:33:57 EDT
What's the dwell-time on ivy? Seems like I haven't even been away for 3+
weeks....

Needless to say, I've returned, safe and sound from my vacation/summer
school-- feeling rather like Tiny Tim though, limping pathetically along the
streets of London, hauling 80 lbs. of books (almost had to lose some dirty
underwear to fit the last few in...) with an "architectural paparazzi" tan
(white ring around the back of the neck where the camera strap hangs). Thank
god I'm home-- so glad to be back at work where I can get some rest... this
'vacation' stuff is EXHAUSTING. I got a chance to visit many o' the suggested
sites in Merrie Olde, highlights to follow (in no particular order)

-As advertised, the Downland and Weald Open Air Museum lived up to its
billing. Spent two hours there, could have (easily) spent two days there.
- The ambience in Brighton struck me as feeling very similar to Atlantic
City. Thank goodness no slot machines in the Pavilion though.
- Brought back a full deck of porn adverts from the London telephone booths,
and have developed a modified version of the card game 'War' with them.
- Rented a car with some friends after the summer school, and one of
us*drove* to Bath, Salisbury, Brighton, etc. God bless us, every one.
- Didn't have a place to stay in Salisbury, so we ended up sharing digs with
a couple of burly, odiferous men at 'The Swinging Cat' pub. I couldn't decide
whether to be thrilled or revolted.
- It only rained once my entire trip: of course it was the day we visited
Port Sunlight (where, incidentally, the Lady Lever Art Gallery had a lovely
collection of Pre-Raphelite art.)
- Touring Westminster Cathedral (designed 1895, John F. Bently) from basement
to ROOF, a heart-stopping experience looking down on the city sprawl in the
balmy afternoon sun.
- Despite all the grandeur and detail of the Victorian exuberence surrounding
it, I was most thrilled by the soaring space of the mediaeval Westminster
Hall (1394-1401) that is attached to the Houses of Parliment.
- The amazing survival of two Victorian London market structures: Leadenhall
Market, and Spitalfields Market.
- The Oxford University Museum (now the Oxford Museum of Natural History)
(Deane and Woodward, 1855-1860) a fulfilling combination of masonry and
ironwork. Each window surround, column capital (whether stone or iron)
depicts a different botanical specimen. Absolute eye-candy.
- Loo paranoia: the fear that local plumbing facilities will be unavailable
when most needed; therefore, an entire bus full of women will stop at every
available facility, 'just in case.'
-  The best of British cuisine: Italian, Caribbean, Chinese, and Indian. And
the fact that people eat 'Spotted Dick' with a straight face (and mighty
tasty it is, too)
- St. George's Hall, Liverpool (Harvey L. Elmes, 1841-1854) Combination law
court and music hall (as seen in the movie 'In the Name of the Father') with
intriguing mechanical/ventilation systems.
- Catching "Twelfth Night" at the Open Air Theater in Regent's Park. I can't
think of a production that I've enjoyed more.
- 20 roles of slides.

Sign me,
Foot-sore, but still kicking

PS- I'm also RSVPing for the pignic. Who's bringing the Ambrosia Salad?

"Dost thou think, because thou art virtuous, there shall be no more cakes and
ale?"
-William Shakespeare, _Twelfth Night_