BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2008 11:51:56 -0800
Does it really matter WHY it doesn't match perfectly?  Dirty brick all look
pretty much the same.  The differences I see in brick is that new brick
have sharp corners and old ones either never had them or they've worn away
by now.  Ruth

At 10:43 PM -0400 4/3/08, [log in to unmask] wrote:
In a message dated 4/3/2008 9:32:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

I thought you were supposed to make it obvious that changes had been made
so in the future other preservation workers would know what had been done.
Ruth

Yes, but, uh, see, one doesn't want to make it TOO obvious.

Then there's rationalization that we didn't quite match the original
BECAUSE we wanted to make the new and old visible to the discerning
observer.  How much daylight is there between we didn't WANT it to match
exactly and it doesn't match because 1) the owner was too cheap to pay for
an exact match, 2) the consultant too lazy to look for another 5 years, 3)
the contractor was the low bidder and how much blood can you get from a
stone anyway 4) the contractor gave the owner a bargain on this brick he
had laying in his yard, and nobody really knew it looked THAT bad.

Ralph
--
Ruth Barton
Dummerston, VT