BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2010 22:17:55 -0400
Is this anything like the ammonia and laundry bluin' we used to pour over
coal and watch it grow?  My Grandma did that for us when we were kids and I
did it for my kids, the neighbor kids' parents thought I was STRANGE.  No
comments from the peanut gallery on that.  Ruth

At 8:29 AM -0400 3/24/10, [log in to unmask] wrote:
The 19th century coastal forts have the best effloresence ; the magazines
are sometimes oval but always  arched and below the grade of the coastal
guns ;Bernard (Napoleons engineer hired after the brits burned washington)
had them covered with copper sheating and placed a french drain between
each one before piling masses of dirt on top .
The salts there are easily six inches deep and only form up to about the
8ft level when the magazines are easily 12ft inside ; They stay
continiously wet and humid the year round ;and if I remember correctly its
only when salts are allowed to dry then wet then dry that they expand and
destroy the brick face ; if Celenni made the best salt celler then Bernard
was not far behind  /Py
--

To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed,
or to change your settings, go to:

--
Ruth Barton
Dummerston, VT