BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deb Bledsoe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 23:29:48 -0500
On Fri, 2 Apr 1999, Ken Follett wrote:

> In a message dated 4/1/99 6:43:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> >  Every year at our cave preserve's open house, we hear tales of local
> >  caves (KY area) that supposedly have ceremonial rooms, and ancient
> >  hearths, burials, and other prehistoric stuff.... trouble is, the
> >  tellers never know quite where that special cave Grandpa Jack or Uncle
> >  Buddy told them about actually IS...  ;)
>
> Deb,
>
> Is it the anticipation of discovery or the reality of the place that is most
> important in this social exchange? I have a bit of exploring to do myself,
> more metaphysical than caving, and I'm worried the reality may be less than
> my imagination has sustained for several years. I'm not sure if I would not
> rather have the story and myth or the facts of the reality, or if not in
> having both I may end with something else entirely.
>
> ][<en

 Ken,

Say what?

I think I'd really like to find a prehistoric site, but I'll keep caving
even if I don't ..... because I really like to get dirty, and I like the
way cave mud smells.... it smells old, really really old......
and when you turn off the lights, a whole bunch of your brain becomes
available for other tasks  ( well, figuratively, if not literally ;)  )

and it's quiet in cave, more quiet than almost anywhere else.....
just the sound of water dripping if that, usually.......
although I've heard water in cave rival the sound of thunder in April..

there's just something about slipping away from everyone out there
down into the earth where it's dark and cool and quiet -- down where
most ppl are afraid to follow, but where I feel most at home...

Deb   ---->
one of the hunters, not a farmer
born in the wrong time
out of place