BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"T. Gale" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 11:42:54 -0500
Heidi has the point exactly.  They can and should stick it somewhere else (and
now, after a favorable vote by the Board of Adjustment, will have to, I hope,
pending appeals).  Perhaps a 150' monopole with multiple 12' diameter arrays of
cellular devices is nothing to you metropolitan types accustomed to much larger
structures but it sure would have an impact on our little four by three and a
half block c. 1850's historic village.  Never mind that our ordinance requires
that it be more than 500' from any State, National and local historic but the
proposed site is in or within that distance of four districts.  Never mind that
the ordinance requires that the tower also be 500' from any residences or public
buildings and that there are multiple significant and notable buildings within
that distance of the site including a house listed as being an outstanding
example of architecture that contributes to a district historic district on the
State and National Register and a property, open to the public, that was once the
hangout of the British after they tailed G. Washington following an unusual
America victory at the Battle of Princeton.  Never mind that the tower is
adjacent to and visible from the tree edged tow-path of the historic Delaware and
Raritan Canal State Park, a beautiful linear park that runs from New Brunswick to
Trenton which offers visitors great recreational opportunities for biking,
jogging, walking, fishing, etc.  The towers are ugly and very conspicuous when
located in open farmland if you consider that, apart from the 30'+ high steeples
on a few churches, all the building of the village is limited to two story
residences and stores.  The tower even has a height advantage over all the mature
trees in the area.  Telephone poles and even whip antennas on top of the fire
company are something we are accustom to so they don't have the same impact as
this monster pole.  I have a few pictures to prove my point but, out of respect
for the visually impaired among us, I have posted them on a simple web page at
http://home.att.net/~fthpc/celltower/tower.htm.  You will have to use your
imagination to replace the 2' wide balloons with the 12' wide platform and then
connect that image to the ground with a monopole.