BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Barbara Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
B-P Golden Oldies: \"Magma Charta Erupts Weakly\"
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2006 09:13:32 -0500
>This Cordwood is not making a comeback - it's been here since you were a
>"yout", as our Humor Tsar would say. We have a dilapidated geodesic dome
>too, and a yurt, and that is next on the fix'er upper list.

Actually, it's been around a lot longer than any of us, especially us
youngens. It just seems that its popularity as new construction may be
making a comeback. Even my hubby suggested it for our new house a few years
back. He may or may not have been joiking (I still have trouble figuring his
humor out sometimes), but he shocked me just by knowing what it was!

Here's an example from the '30s in Minnesota:
http://nrhp.mnhs.org/property_overview.cfm?propertyID=75

In Iowa, we've seen one historic stovewood house  - it was covered over with
siding and discovered during demolition. The house was saved and is now part
of an architectural petting zoo, I believe.

I've heard tell of other examples up in Wisconsin and the Upper Penninsula,
but have no idea when they were built.

bamh.