BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Leeke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jun 2009 08:29:11 -0400
 > Sort of a virtual Hole in the Plywood Wall: John Leeke this week has
 > been doing something pretty incredible with Bambuser -- Barn, Steam
 > Paint Removal *http://tinyurl.com/myc6b6*
 >
 > I am not sure what equipment he is using... but the Bambuser site
 > advertises live streaming via cell phone... though I could not get it to
 > work for my cell phone I was able to get it to work w/ my webcam.
 > *http://tinyurl.com/ml2agj* My webcam is not a very good one. I suspect
 > w/ a better quality webcam that this experiment would be more
 > interesting and cld be run easily w/ a laptop w/ wi-fi or wireless
access.

If the site has a high-speed internet connection this may be easier and
lower cost than running cables. Set up a router with WIFI, perhaps you
already have WIFI there. The only other equipment needed is a notebook
computer with a webcam, or a cell phone with the right capabilities. Get
a no-cost account at Bambuser.com. You can watch your live broadcast on
any internet connected computer. You can view past broadcasts and even
download the file, edit and reuse it. You can easily embed the Bambuser
player on any webpage:

Reports from the Field:
http://www.historichomeworks.com/hhw/video/rftf.htm

and broadcast to the world. Or, you can make your broadcast private,
in-house only, or by invitation only.

Another service that is similar is Kyte.tv, scroll down on the webpage
above to see that. Kyte can do live broadcast, plus more from desktop,
notebook or phone, though it does not work with as many phones as Bambuser.

When I gave a session on this at The American Association for History
and Computing (AAHC) conference in '07 at Brown U., we discussed the use
of this for disabled access for visitors to historic sites.

Give me a call if you need guidance.

John
207 773-2306
www.HistoricHomeWorks.com