BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
His reply: “No. Have you read The Lazy Teenager by Virtual Reality?”" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2007 10:54:40 -0200
c-

Was the agreement written on a piece of paper or solely by handshake?
A verbal agreement is a contract, but it can be difficult to defend in
court. Always a need for a paper trail. Paper rules.
One thing w/ paper is that in making it you have an opportunity to
explore mutual expectations as to outcome of the transaction.
That said, the FLBW is solely responsible for the cost overun and should
give the DO the dinghy back for the agreed $300.00. End of story.
DO generous to want to give FLBW $100.00 extra.
I no longer consider anyone asking such a high mark-up on their
stupidity as being friendly.
I assume FLBW is asking for cash.

If DO not get back dinghy w/out hassle then DO needs to consider Small
Claims Court, Better Business Bureau, and other means of legal and
social pressure. This can be a hassle not worth the trouble and is
likely what FLBW is depending on... that DO w/ deep pockets will cave
w/out a whimper.

Or leave FLBW the dinghy he has expended so much love on, and DO spend
$400 for another dinghy. This would leave FLBW w/ no return on his time
& a dinghy he may not need. Number One Power rule in any negotiation is
to try to be in the position where you have nothing to lose, then go for
the win-win. FLBW can have something, what was agreed to, or nothing. If
they start to cry then kick them where it hurts. (I have been reading up
on Nonviolent Communication...)

Another strategy, since assume at present time DO does not need to
reposses dinghy to not do anything, including to not return FLBW's phone
calls and let FLBW spend time wondering if they will get paid -- though
risk FLBW may get a notion due to lack of dogfood to expend more time on
dinghy. DO can send FLBW friendly histo presto postcards advising FLBW
that they are still considering the situation but that since it was
agreed on $300 it puts DO in a tough spot (do not elaborate)... thus
establishing between now and time that DO actually needs to reposses
dinghy a paper trail... if FLBW does not respond to written
correspondence for a reasonable period of time then it becomes paper
evidence in support of DO's claims of breach of the verbal contract.
Keep copies. This is the 'string them out' strategy accompanied by the
'don't be too clear what your intentions are so that they eat themselves
up feeling anxious.'

I recently subcontracted a shutter mock-up for $500 and got a bill for
$700. I paid the larger amount, out of pocket (I did not go back to my
client and tell them it cost me more), no protest, but determined in
future not to do business w/ the guy no matter how nice of a job they
had done. Likewise, no matter how much it hurts I never ask for more
money on a project for what I think needs to be done... but I will ask
for change orders if it is obvious that someone else missed something...
but again I TRY to never take action unless there is a piece of paper or
a very well established working relationship. What I tell anyone that I
work with as a subcontractor or supplier is that I want a price, I want
a firm price, and if they get hurt in the deal then I will look out for
an opportunity in the future to make it up. Many folks I work with are
not exactly laid back as much as not too together when it comes to
business... and they all tend to 'do it right' and are not too conscious
up front what it will mean for them in the terms of their time expended.

][<