BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
His reply: “No. Have you read The Lazy Teenager by Virtual Reality?”" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2007 13:09:38 -0200
An early precurser to cornice is wooden box gutters supported on wood
brackets. We are currently getting paid fairly well to replace three of
them that were originally made of unlined pine boards. Replacing with
mahogany, marine-grade epoxy, copper & stainless fasteners, and lead
coated copper liners. None of these materials being traditional to the
era, the structures, or the history of the site. Not even, I suspect,
the BM paint that hides the nice color of the mahogany primed w/ boiled
linseed oil. All of this paid for by a grant from Lowes, which means in
good conscience that I need to drive an extra hour to avoid getting
stuff at the local Home Depot. I don't think that one can ever be too
sure that a property steward when given the opportunity will not go as
far as they can go on expense to do what they feel is a better option.
It is up to me to decide to do the best we know to do a good job, no
architect involved as far as I can see.

My current approach on cost is to try to give the customer a proposed
cost that fits with what I have learned people expect of us to deliver.
Then to try our damndest to deliver on their expectations. Oh, how many
of us have lost heart along this way and gone into other business
directions? Recently on a proposed project the conservator (who was to
be the prime) told me that they thought our cost was too high, my
response, well, you can get it cheaper and I don't mind if you do, but
this is what it will cost for me not to fuck it up. I can list the
architect of record and every consultant on the owner's side of the
project as a personal friend. No way that I can use the, "I'm with
stupid," defense on that one. These situations initiate a 'run' response
in my gut! If it happens that we get the gig, fine, if not, I'm happy.

][<