BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kitty tortillas! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 2003 14:46:51 -0400

>direction. I think maybe the lady was Olga Sheldon, herself.

Hmmm... we have some Sheldons in the background... they had something to
do with ship fittings around the Great Lakes. Supposed to have had a lot
of money. Only met them once, a family reunion in Wellsville when I was
too little to be remembered... they arrived in a Lincoln w/ a chauffer.
Never saw them again. My paternal grandmother Victoria was a Sheldon and
the story is she married down. For this the family along those lines
acquired this rather weird cultural social climbing hunger that is never
satisfied. My uncle would sell pizza out of his truck on the Cornell
campus and his wife my aunt would fly to Paris and back on the Concorde.
I grew up feeling uncomfortable about opera, horses and oil painting as
a result... particularly since I was the illegitimate heir but the
legitimate creative. I irked them by the fact of my existence. My
grandmother had an incredible lack of perspective in all of her
paintings, she liked to paint freehand from pictures and postcards, and
it is a quality of distorted perspective that I secretly admire in
vernacular artists. The worse the artwork the more at home I feel. My
grandfather was the son of a Seneca woman and  a French fireman on the
railroad. When my grandparents got married it may have been during my
grandfather's pool shark days, that is, before he found Jesus. In his
last days he was a Congregational/Methodist lay minister. He had true
passion.

][<en