BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
plz practice conservation of histo presto eye blinks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2008 14:12:28 -0500
> The head arthrititect stood up like a ram rod and said sternly, "We
> don't ASK the trades, we TELL them!"
Cuyler,

Sadly we run in to that thinking a great deal w/ architects who have no
business playing with histo presto... I won't go very far into our
current FUBAR fiasco... where the architect thinks this is what they are
doing -- TELLING them! In reality they have actively divested themselves
of any and all design and or liability for same having shifted it all
over to the contractor. Now they bitch because they don't like the cost
proposal when if they took their head out of their dark space they may
begin to understand what it is that they really told the contractor to
do... they told the contractor to design the job and be fully and 100%
responsible for the result. Sheesh! Pay to play, the come back is a cost
that includes getting a 5th structural engineer through the contractor
involved (there are already 4 involved) in the project who will sign off
on the end result and a scope of work that assures that the 5th engineer
will feel comfortable to sign off.

I am very much interested in new ideas coming from the AIA out of
California re: Integrated Project Delivery. They are talking about
cooperative cross-discipline project teams built on mutual trust and
respect that include owner, designer and contractor/trades from the
early development of the project to the closure and completion.

I want to encourage my beloved architect and engineer friends whom I
respect dearly to gather together and begin to burn your lesser
marauding morons at the stake.

][<en