BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jun 2009 11:07:53 -0400
John,
> I know of a century-old house in an Alabama town
Sounds like, "I knew of a century-old house..."

This reminds me of one of my earliest interfaces w/ a young architect,
when I was a young mason who built CMU foundations. The architect was
fresh out of Cornell, and this gig was near to Ithaca. The client wanted
to build a house in the woods and the contractor sent me out to dig a
test pit to determine water level. I reported back, 2 inches, they said,
two inches from the bottom (I can’t remember if it was 6 or 8 ft deep),
I said, No, the water is two inches from the top. Regardless the
architect wanted a passive heat sink in the basement that it would be
filled with gravel but it had to be 100% waterproof, a fantasy that I
have never been able to believe in no matter how well it is drawn. I
came up with a plan to build a basement within a basement and when I
told the client how much that would cost they freaked and fired the
architect – who being a newly minted one was supposed to be a money
saving bargain. I don’t know what happened after that but I would have
built the house on stilts.

][<