BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bruce Marcham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 2004 12:59:16 -0500

http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/cas/fnart/fa267/rmhunt.html

Richard Morris Hunt

Richard Morris Hunt (1827-1895) was from a wealthy colonial family who moved to Paris in 1843. He studied architecture, painting, and sculpture at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris. He travled widely throughout Europe and was made an assistant at the Ecole in 1854. He took his knowledge French Renaissance Revival back to New York in 1855. He returned to Europe twice in the 1860's and finally settled in the States.

In 1873 he built the Tribune Building in New York, an early skyscraper. He also did many summer homes for aristocrats such as the Vanderbilts and J.J. Astor. French Renaissance remained his favorite style. He contributed the Administration Building to the Chicago Exposition of 1893. He was one of the founders of the American Institute of Architects.(WJC)

The Breakers,
Newport, RI, 1895