BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 12:22:10 -0500
Have a call in to the folks who were in Spain last spring, and I will reply with any pertinent info. Mom didn't have any particular comments about Seville and Granada, but she's going to check her itinerary for any particular favorites.

Their trip also took them to Madrid-- Mom really liked the town outside of Madrid where they make the steel swords-- I think it was Toledo. Her comment-- "It was just such an OLD town." They were on a cruise, so the "adventure" factor was slightly limited-- no marble quarries, I'm afraid.

Tangental story:
I think Dad started to appreciate the convenience of the pre-planned trip after our trip to Italy when I was 13. While it was an experience I will never forget, I think stress got the best of dad one night in Florence. Our original plan called for a night's stay in a castle in Florence, which my mom rejected because the rooms were musty and damp. After driving around we eventually found a lovely (what I can only describe as) penzione straight out of "A Room With A View"-- complete with frolicking cherubs painted in a mural on the ceiling. The room included a great view with french doors overlooking a courtyard garden laden with unused fountains and gracefully overgrown folliage.

While all very picturesque, my mother was slightly disturbed by the plumbing situation and lack of shower curtain, although the claw foot tub made up somewhat for the wacky system. My father was most disturbed by the mosquitos- huge bloodsucking monster mosquitos (no doubt bred in the picturesque pond and admitted by the picturesque French door) which he could SEE landing on my face and arms as I slept. He stood sentry over me all night with a rolled up magazine, shooing them away. I don't think he slept a wink.

I, however, had a great time, despite the calamine lotion.

-Heidi