BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David west <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Infarct a Laptop Daily"
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 00:21:28 +0000
This discussion about how to assess the performance of patching mortars seems ideally suited to move towards some form of standards writing.

I am aware that at least two committees of ASTM have an interest associated with this topic.

Committee E6 on the performance of buildings has a subcommittee on historic preservation issues which is endeavouring to identify areas in HP which require standards.

Committee C18 on dimension stone has a subcommittee which has just established a taskforce to look at a Standard Guide to Restoration of Stone.  I'm part of it.

I have some concerns about standards which provide guidance as distinct from standard test methods and standard specifications, and would be happy to endeavour to redirect the activity toward patching mortars IF this is the need at the moment.

Any feedback from the BP community on the need for standards in historic preservation?  Particularly with regard to patching mortars?

Regards

david