BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cuyler Page <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2004 00:33:58 -0700
I currently have an exhibit about the history of the toilet on display at
the museum.   Unfortunately it is only the euro/american history.   However,
even here there certainly have been some big swings in style through time.
We folk just happened to grow up in an era that promoted embarrassment about
poo poo.   My grandmother's big old farmhouse at Phelps, NY had a beautiful
commode in the parlour, the room used only for formal functions.   It was a
fine piece of furniture like everything else in the room, and was always a
source of amazement and curiosity between my brother and me, as we grew up
in a super clean modern home economics 1950's  household where bodily
functions were NEVER mentioned.   Of course, all grandma's bedrooms had
incredibly beautiful chamber pots under every bed, placed just where you
could see them to appreciate their art.

The history of toilet paper is equally fascinating.   Apparently the ancient
Romans used an ocean sponge on a stick, stored in a basin of salt water so
it would always be soft and moist for the next user.

One place I work at here, a ranch mansion house from 1904, had the first
indoor plumbing in the region, a single water closet that was the talk of
the town.   Today, just down the road, are typical today homes being built
with four bathrooms, almost as many places to take a crap as to watch tv.

It seems that toileting is the one thing humans anywhere are always
culturally confident about what is the right way to do.   Other culture's
ways than one's own provoke mirth and amazement.   In our culture, the one
sure thing remaining that can create dissention is which way the toilet
paper is supposed to come off the roll.   No laughing matter, that.

cp in spotless bc