BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Becker, Dan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
A man of honor pays his debts with his own money. --DeGaulle
Date:
Thu, 20 May 2004 14:28:00 -0400
Greetings from the South, where we know termites.

If there is a swarm inside the building's humanly habitable spaces,
there are a lotta termites inhabiting the building's termite habitation
places.

Determining how extensive the damage is without just tearing it up and
finding out is next to impossible. They do have termite-sniffing dogs,
BTW, because they can smell 'em farting before they poop. But because
it's a gas, it's hard to pinpoint the precise extent of where it is
being produced. I believe it's methane. That's one of the termite
trade's inspection tools: super-sensitive natural gas sniffers.

The building is going to have to be torn it up to repair it anyway, so
the key to investigation is to engage in forensic tearing-up. The
termite inspection folks should be able to assess and identify all the
areas around the foundation where the termite damage originates. Start
at the bottom where the damage is, and follow it. Keep following it
until sound wood is encountered. Stop there. I warn you though, you may
find yourself in the attic, or in rooms well down the wall from where
you started.

One thing possibly in favor of limited damage is that 1954 houses were
generally being built of better quality framing lumber than the
farm-grown studs of today. That means it's denser and more satisfying
and they don't have to go as far for a meal. So the length of time the
termites have been in habitation will have a lot to say about how
extensive it is.

Make a contingent offer dependent upon full termite treatment and repair
of all termite damage. Include language that your own inspector is judge
the results of the forensic investigation to verify that all damage has
been identified. Include language that the repair work has to meet your
approval. Include a three year warranty for repair of any termite damage
not found in the initial round of work.

Then it's their decision as to whether they really want to sell the
house or not. Trust me; you don't want the house under any other
circumstances than delivery to you at closing free of termites with all
termite damage identified and repaired to your satisfaction.

Of course, a brief stint of Googling will provide you with all the info
you need from America's leading providers of termite control products.
Some of their educational material is pretty good, too.

HTH,

Dan Becker,  Exec. Dir.,   "Help me, Mr. Wizard!  I don't
Raleigh Historic                want to be here anymore!"
Districts Commission                  - Tooter the Turtle
919/807-8480