BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bruce Marcham <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"Let us not speak foul in folly!" - ][<en Phollit
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 17:11:23 -0500
ctb:

My father is active in the DeWitt Historical Society and has been publisher
or editor of a number of books put out by them.  He had forgotten about the
picture in the Pieper book that contained Stoddards Tannery (depending on
which book it was in he may've actually written the caption) and went so far
as to look up his obit to learn more about him.

Stoddard apparently suffered many ups and downs in his Tannery business
including a flood in 1857.  There was a reference to his having bought out
the Hollister Lumber Yard (yet another sawdust maker in The Forest City!) at
some point (my dad seems to think that was around where the Strand Theater
once stood.

Bruce

P.S.  As to how long it has been since we met (maybe only once?) I seem to
remember meeting you at a house up off of Cayuga Heights Rd north of Rte 13,
northwest of where the Pyramid Mall is now located (for lack of a more
pleasant landmark), perhaps where Sundowne Rd, Oak Crest Rd, or Airport Rd
are located now.  Maybe a 40's or 50's vintage Army ambulance in the yard?
I'm guessing that would've been between '72 and '76.