BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"T. Gale" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 15:47:30 -0500
Dear Full, (kidding)

While I admit to having only a layman's knowledge, I thought I
understood the principle of a vapor barrier had to do with the fact that
warm air can hold more moisture than cold air hence the "warm in winter"
adage on what face of any insulation the vapor barrier should be
installed on.  In your scenario, since we are going outside to inside,
to me it doesn't seem like there would be much change in the insulating
value of the block or the brick and if that is the case there should be
very little opportunity for condensation in this wall area.  Ideally the
wall is properly insulated farther inside and the vapor barrier is on
the inside face that insulation.  If that is the case, there should be
very little water vapor to condense between the two masonry units.

As far as the Tyvek rather than membrane discussion goes, I thought that
Tyvek was like Goretex with properties that are indented to resist wind
and water penetration while allowing moisture vapor to pass through.  If
true, I think the joint question is moot (FYI Dupont recommends the
joints be taped but I think that is for maximum wind intrusion
prevention, something that your brick/block wall should do pretty well
on its own) and that Tyvek would be a better choice than an impermeable
membrane inside a wall if any moisture happens to be passing through.

One thing I have always been puzzled by, based on my layman's
understanding of the vapor barrier principle, is the typical practice of
aluminum and vinyl siding contractors of installing foam insulation over
any existing siding before installing their new siding.  I know that it
creates a nice smooth working surface but it seems to me that it would
cause a condensation zone on the inside face of the foam.  Since the
synthetic siding is usually going over a wood product (to cut out the
maintenance requirements of wood) and since it is less likely that the
typically older building getting the facelift has a proper vapor barrier
and insulation, it seems to me there should be condensation problems
with this type of installation.  I know there is a Preservation Brief on
the subject but I have wondered how often problems resulting from this
practice are encountered in the field.  Any eyewitnesses to the problem
or lack of one?

Hoping my vapor barrier theory isn't all wet,
T. Gale