BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kitty tortillas! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 07:17:19 -0400

>>Loved that place; love the history on this guy what was the story about his
>>fight with Westing House over A./C vs D/C is this why we have 110 today ???
>>Didn't  Thomas Alva invent the electric chair
>>

>don't know the answer to these questions, think yes on the chair though...
>drew, rudy, ken, jim?

It was Tesla that he fought with and it was Edison pushing DC and Tesla
with A/C. Edison supposedly invented the electric chair, and collected
up local dogs and an old elephant or two and electrocuted them in order
to show the danger of A/C. Tesla worked briefly for Edison. Edison
invented by brute force... he had to make thousands of lightbulbs
because he did not use inductive reasoning or sience per se... he made a
lightbulb and waited to see if it would work and when it did not he made
another one until one worked. He also was making a collection of 'every'
material known, it was kept right outside of his office between his
office and the prototype making machine shop. Ford had something of the
same character of brute force invention and he looked to his friend
Edison as hero and mentor. Tesla spent less time fiddling and more time
thinking. Edison could not handle Tesla's way of doing things and the
two of them launched into a lifelong rivalry.

One reason that archivists seem to have careers sorting through Edison
materials is that he had to have a small factory to make prototypes...
lots and lots of prototypes.

I met a fellow last night, a Morgan/Stanley VP, whose wife sells antique
papers... letters and such. He told me that an Edison signature is only
worth about $300 because he signed so many papers and they are in
circulation... about the same value as a Truman signature... and not
like an Abraham Lincoln that might go for $2,000.

>of his buildings in commercial use adjacent to the ENHSite...

And fetal remnants of various types of concrete buried in the ground
within and without of the buildings.

][<