BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"M. P. Edison" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 11:22:08 -0500

> In a message dated 1/7/03 10:52:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> writes:
>
> > I don't know of
> > any empirical data source for workability.
>
> The empirical measurement of workability (consistency) for mortars
is done
> with a Vicat cone or a needle penetrometer.  There are a number of
devices in
> use (ASTM C 187, etc.); ASTM C 780 details the current standard
procedures.
> Vicat pioneered the Vicat cone method nearly 100 years ago.  It
correlates
> extremely well with the opinions of masons (that is no mean feat).
It is
> also useful to measure flow (C 305) with a flow table, especially
for grouts
> vibrated into wall cavities, or any other applications that exploit
the
> thixotropic properties of these materials.
>
> Steve Stokowski
> Stone Products Consultants
> Building Products Microscopy
> 10 Clark St., Ste. A
> Ashland, Mass. 01721-2145
> 508-881-6364 (ph. & fax)
> http://members.aol.com/crushstone/petro.htm

Interesting comment, Steve, and I have to admit that I was unaware
that the Vicat method correlates well with observations regarding
workability. We have used the Vicat apparatus for years for measuring
setting times, and the flow table for measuring flow, but it seems to
us that masons don't necessarily agree with each other as to what
constitutes good workability.

No matter what we do in the lab, there comes a point where you have to
put product prototypes into mechanics' hands and get their feedback. I
would argue that if there is to be a definition of workability, it
will be statistical rather than empirical.

Edison Coatings, Inc.
M. P. Edison
President
3 Northwest Drive