BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "It's a bit disgusting, but a great experience...." -- Squirrel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 09:30:23 EDT
In a message dated 9/10/00 5:01:09 AM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>  In other words, the cost of a subway token (including standing in line,
>  conducting a transaction, etc.) is a significant barrier to at least some
>  street criminals.

Larry,

My son, the political science student, came home last Friday overly irritated
that sociology students in his law & society class had argued that the
framers of the constitution had meant it as a document to keep the rich rich
and the poor poor. His argument was that economics and class economics were
irrelevent to the intention of forming a government. At the end of the class
one rather obscure student remarked that the drafters of the consititution
had written it.

So, following the logic of the sociology students, can we assume that the
charging of a fee for riding on a subway is intended to keep the rich rich
and the poor poor?

][<en