BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
His reply: “No. Have you read The Lazy Teenager by Virtual Reality?”" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2007 20:21:14 -0800
Hey Twybil,  Why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel???

John or Ralph,  I don't have any of these cornice thingys do I? I don't
think we have them in Vermont.  Ruth

At 10:27 AM -0500 12/28/06, [log in to unmask] wrote:
In a message dated 12/28/2006 10:09:23 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>>Anyone care to dissent from substitution of fiberglass for either
copper or
galvanized, in reproducing a lost cornice from a 1910s-1920s building?<<

Well, would you rather support the traditional metal-working trades and
crafts for today and into the future, or would you rather give the work
away to the plastics industry? Oh yeah, plastic moulding IS the NEW
traditional craft--like black is the new white.

For the entire 20th century the building industry was sastified with a
10% profit margin for buildings made of wood, stone and metal that would
last a century. Now they want and get 23% profit for buildings that last
27 years. How do they do that? They build out of cardboard and plastic.

We've done several cornice restorations and heartily shy away from the use
of fiberglass cladding, a material that is very susceptible to UV
deterioration. Why? Because the likelihood that any cornice is going to
receive the required attention and be repainted on a cyclical basis is very
slim, and metal, even galvanized, is going to be more durable than piece
o'shit plastic. Most of the failures that we've seen are principally
related to fastener corrosion - a result of inadequate metals
separation and subsequent galvanic corrosion, and water infiltration into
the cornice because no one wants to perform proper maintenance.

Also the crappy appearance of 3/4" sealant joints between pieces of plastic
on cornices makes me want to puke.

Twybil

-- To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the
http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html

--
Ruth Barton
Dummerston, VT