BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cuyler Page <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yes, we set off an A-bomb but we are really sorry about it.
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2006 23:32:10 -0800
> I was disappointed to hear that "This American Life" is going to start
> being on television. This seems like a stupid idea to me. Without the
> "theatre of the mind" it might just as well be a loopy Frontline episode.

The two guys who talk car repairs on US stations have them all beat in my
book.   Nothing like them in Canada.  It is refreshing to hear someone laugh
with sincerity at their own jokes.

 But we do now have a GC clone, Stewart McLean, and he has a great following
who fight for the right to pay $45 for seats in sold out theatres in small
cities when he goes on the road
(which is now most of the time because it appears to be a great money maker
for the government-owned radio) to tape live night time theatre shows for
out national CBC radio late Sunday morning broadcasts.   The joy of Stewart
(if you are one who can listen, unlike my partner), compared to GC, is that
he really does seem to believe in himself.   Perhaps he represents the next
generation, perhaps what GC was when he first started.

cp in bc